Remember the Maine Day
Today we remember the Maine, the American battleship that blew up on today’s date in 1898 while anchored in Havana Harbor. Commanded by Captain Charles G. Sigsbee, it was one of the first American battleships, cost more than $2 million to build, and weighed more than 6,000 tons. Ostensibly, its mission in the harbor was friendly, but its real purpose was to protect American lives and property. Cuba was in the midst of rebelling from Spain, and as Cuba sought its independence, it was believed that a full-blown war could break out at any time. The United States had also long had its eye on Cuba, hoping to expand its influence there and in the region.
Positive News For You, LLC is registered in New Hampshire. We have a “sister” nonprofit, PN4UINC, that promotes positivity, educates on a more positive lifestyle and helps with the promotion of positive writers.
How you can help?
- We are always on the lookout for sponsors and advertisers for this PAGE.
- Send us great positive stories, videos, and photos. (Go to the SUBMIT button at the top.)
- And you can make a donation to our 501(c)3 and write in WRITERS in the checkout. We put a percentage towards our local homeless shelter. The balance helps with other lifestyle-related events and content.
- Or you can buy our merchandise.
- We are looking for writers for all things “local”! (Think Roving Reporters and Town Criers! )