Today is National Animal Crackers Day
Animal-shaped cookies similar to animal crackers were being eaten in the United Kingdom in the 1800s. By the 1870s, animal crackers, which are a type of snack and not a brand, were being made in the United States. The Stauffer Biscuit Company started making them in 1871. The most popular brand, originally known as Barnum’s Animals, began being made in 1902 by the National Biscuit Company (now known as Nabisco). They were named after P.T. Barnum and were sold in small packages that were designed to look like circus trains. The packages had a string at their top and were intended to be hung on Christmas trees. Now known as Barnum’s Animals Crackers, they have been shaped into 37 types of animals throughout the years. In general, animal crackers are usually shaped into zoo or circus animals such as lions, tigers, bears, elephants, and monkeys.
Every day we look for the best in Positive News so that you might have a great start on your day. Thank you for taking the time to read, share and support our mission.
€œMake the most of the best and the least of the worst.€ Robert Louis Stevenson
- Man Loved His Dinner So Much He Tipped Every Person In The Kitchen $100
- Scientists Accidentally Create Super Enzyme That Can Devour Plastic Pollution
- Hilarious: A ‘bad’ dog was detained in a cop car after chasing a deer
- Chef has fed thousands of hungry kids in his Calif. backyard
- Senior Olympians push through swimming competition
- After Securing Release of 2 Men From Decades in Prison, Woman Ensures That No One Will Suffer Same Fate
- Mexican 19-year-old develops breast cancer detecting bra
- Plastic-eating enzyme accidentally created by scientists could help solve pollution crisis
- ‘I know they are going to die.’ This foster father takes in only terminally ill children
- What The World’s Most Famous Amateur Can Teach Pro Runners
- JÃ©rÃ´me Hamon: Frenchman gets ‘third face’ in new transplant
- Transformative Gift Will Shape the Future of KEXP’s Service to the Community
- BeyoncÃ© donates $100,000 to historically black colleges in four states
- There’s a giant unicorn island floating off the shore of the Philippines
- Man donates more than 26,000 books to ‘TV64 Books for Kids’
- A man reached out to classmates in need of a kidney. One he barely knew came to his aid.
- REI Announces New Sustainability Standards
- Kendrick Lamar becomes first non-classical or jazz musician to win Pulitzer Prize
- Lost music by Nazis’ prisoners will be performed for the first time
- Researchers find a genetic cause for Alzheimer’s, possible method to reverse it
- Fallen Marine’s dream to build track is completed by his family and high school
- Grandmother Becomes Second Person to Get Donated Kidney After First Dies in Car Accident
- In North Carolina, Hog Waste Is Becoming A Streamlined Fuel Source
- 81-year-old Japanese man leaps into the river to save drowning an 86-year-old woman
- Good Morning, Beautiful Business!
- 911 Calls From the Chronically Ill Dropped By 62% After the City Launched Simple Initiative
- Sky and National Geographic join forces in fight against marine plastic pollution
- 2017 had lowest number of traffic deaths in Pa. records: PennDOT
- Costco’s Hot Dogs Will Probably Never Go Up in Price
- Recycling hope for plastic-hungry enzyme
- 5 Black Non-Profits That Are Making a Difference
- The UK on a path to €˜zero carbon’ economy
- 49ers’ Don Jones escorts teen with Down syndrome to prom
- How a 27-Year-Old Math Whiz (and His Uber Driver) Found a Big Flaw in an IRS Tax Formula
- Desi Linden shows incredible sportsmanship in winning Boston Marathon
- While serving in Iraq, Ozaukee sheriff received a letter from a boy who later became his deputy
- Hawaiian Airlines previews Hawaiian language flights
- A Good Sign: Nashua Men Say Don’t Worry Be Happy
- Diner at Chicago’s Boka Leaves $2,000 Tip on $769 Meal
- Homeless Man Saves An Abandoned Dog! A New Start For Both
- ‘Notes From A Public Typewriter’ Muse On Everything From Cats To Commencement
- Instagram Star Chessie King And The Cybersmile Foundation Team Up On Body Positivity Campaign
- Gorilla Cradles Her Newborn Baby And Gently Kisses Him
- Northshore couple set to wed discovers they were born the same day at the same hospital
- In Historic Move, the Global Shipping Industry is Agreeing to Join Climate Agreement
- Firefighters mow the lawn of veteran after responding to call
- Man Goes Above And Beyond To Help Woman Traveling Alone With Two Screaming Kids
- Yale Offering Its Most Popular Class For Free
- She Prevents Gender-based Violence in India by Using a Powerful Law
- After 50 Years Apart, Divorced Couple Remarries in Emotional Ceremony: ‘I Shed a Few Tears’
- Young history buff’s wish granted on Patriots’ Day
- Lost dog found safe after eluding 1000 searchers and a helicopter for nine days
- During the Marathon Bombing, He Ran to Help €” Today, He’s Running Again
- Kawauchi, Linden win landmark Boston Marathon titles
- Firefighters mow the lawn of veteran after responding to call
- ‘Coffee filter’ helps make new cancer drug Z-endoxifen 1,000 times cheaper
- Firefighter donating a kidney to a colleague, best friend
- Pilot diverts plane to help 15 Irish people en route to Wales
- Generous New Yorkers help homeless Girl Scout troop sell 17,000 boxes of cookies
- Dakota Fanning Joins UN To Celebrate Voice And Visibility Of Girls With Autism
- Trio of comedians heading to Burton to raise funds for drug and alcohol rehabilitation
- Women farmers transforming NH agriculture
- An early childhood intervention in Jamaica improves earnings 25% and could become national policy in three countries
- Doctors told her Laurin Long may not live to her wedding €” but this bride refused to move up the date
- For shelter dogs from away, door’s wide open in Maine
- Device That Translates €˜Silent Speech’ Could Revolutionize the Way People Communicate
- Humans of New York Photo Inspires Thousands to Help
- When you buy a shirt you help others…
Love my Aunt Amy!
- Congratulate, Celebrate and Cheer Someone’s Special Day!
- To Ministers, Churches & Church Leaders
- Let’s Talk PINK-Our Program To Help Those With Breast Cancer
- Looking For Volunteers & Help At Positive News For You
- Bear Project Challenges
- Where does our heart connect?
- Have you seen these shirts???
- Want to Advertise with Us?
- Bears to the Rescue
You want to visit our special program originated from Positive News For You, to help Breast Cancer Survivors. To find out more visit our merchandise page.
Do you know someone who could use a card or two?
Do you know someone like that? A birthday? A holiday? Let me know and let’s get an article out there to bless them!
Send A Bear
We are starting a new program for folks who would like to send a bear with a handwritten card to that special someone sitting in a hospital or ill at home. Connect with us.
- Food & Recipes
- Home & Garden
- Lifestyles €“ Great Ideas and Help
- Lee’s Corner–Why the bears? Here’s your answer!
[contact-form to=”email@example.com” subject=”April 18″][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”1″][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”1″][contact-fiel4 label=”Website” type=”url”][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea”][/contact-form]