Positive News Stories to start your day!
Today Is World Smile Day!
World Smile Day is dedicated to the smiley face, which was created by Harvey Ball in 1963. He also came up with the idea for World Smile Day, which was first held in 1999, two years before his death. Following his death, the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation was created, with the slogan “improving the world, one smile at a time”. The foundation’s goal in raising awareness for World Smile Day is to “encourage smiles and acts of kindness around the world”. The foundation also raises money to support children’s causes.
Harvey Ball originally created the smiley face while working as a freelance artist. He was hired by the State Mutual Life Assurance Company in the town where he lived, Worcester, Massachusetts, to create a smiley face that would increase worker morale. The smiley face was to be placed on posters, stickers, and buttons. He created the idea in less than 10 minutes and earned $45 for his work. The company handed out 100 pins to each employee, and they became wildly popular. By 1971 more than 50 million smiley face buttons had been sold. Ball never trademarked his creation, but two brothers added the phrase “Have a Nice Day” to the smiley face in the early 1970’s and trademarked the combo. The smiley face became a cultural icon of the 1970’s, and its popularity is still with us today.
How to Observe World Smile Day
The biggest events for the day are held in Worcester, Massachusetts, birthplace of both the smiley face and its creator. If you can’t get to the city, there are many other ways you can celebrate. There are some ideas for celebrating on the World Smile Day website. You could also download some stickers, posters, and coloring pages to use on the day. You could also listen to some songs about the smiley face and the day, or watch a video about the history of the smiley face and Harvey Ball.
SponsorThese events do not currently have a sponsor. If you’d like to increase visibility for these events while gaining exposure for yourself or your brand, you can learn more here!
Every day we look for the best in Positive News so that you might have a great start on your day. Thank you for taking the time to read, share, and support our mission.
Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.Buddha
- Utah Ice Center Makes Snow So Dying Dog Can Enjoy It One Last Time
- First EV Trucks Roll off Rivian Assembly Line in Illinois, Watch Giddy Test Drives: ‘Quickest Thing I‘ve Ever Driven’
- –Jumbo opens ‘chat checkouts’ to combat loneliness among the elderly
- Laundry Angels: Providing Clean Clothes to the Homeless
- Self-service ‘honesty shop’ where customers are trusted to not steal goods or cash is doing a roaring trade
- PANDEMIC RAMBLINGS-EAST COAST TOUR By Zoe Fortenberry
- Russell Stover Was Born Here!
- 4 Bad Spending Habits You Need to Break Today By Rachel Cruze
- Dealing with Disappointment By Dr. John Delony
- 3 Ways to Survive the Real Estate Gold Rush By George Kamel
- Dave Says-The Zero-Based Budget
Positive News For You, LLC is registered in New Hampshire. We have a “sister” nonprofit, PN4UINC, that promotes positivity, educates on a more positive lifestyle and helps with the promotion of positive writers.
How you can help?
- We are always on the lookout for sponsors and advertisers for this PAGE.
- Send us great positive stories, videos, and photos. (Go to the SUBMIT button at the top.)
- And you can make a donation to our 501(c)3 and write in WRITERS in the checkout. We put a percentage towards our local homeless shelter. The balance helps with other lifestyle-related events and content.
- Or you can buy our merchandise.
- We are looking for writers for all things “local”! (Think Roving Reporters and Town Criers! ?)